A record breaking number of submissions, a total of 188, were sent for Eesti Laul. The internal jury of ERR listened to the songs and chose 20 of them to compete in the two semi-finals. Amidst those who picked the semi-finalists was the Estonian 1996 and 1997 representative Maarja-Liis Ilus.
These 20 artists with their song titles and composers are listed below.
- Tanja – Amazing (Timo Vendt, Tatjana Mihhailova)
- Sofia Rubina – City Lights (Priit Juurmann, Sofia Rubina)
- Maltised – Elu (Jakko Maltis)
- MiaMee – Fearful Heart (Liina Saar, Liisi Koikson)
- The Titles – Flame (Rasmus Lill, Markus Rafael Nylund)
- Sandra Nurmsalu – Kui Tuuled Pöörduvad (Sven Lõhmus)
- August Hunt – Kus On EXIT? (August Hunt)
- Norman Salumäe – Search (Norman Salumäe)
- Traffic – Für Elise (Stig Rästa, Silver Laas)
- Brigita Murutar – Laule Täis Taevakaar (Rainer Michelson, Feliks Kütt)
- Lauri Pihlap – Lootus (Lauri Pihlap)
- VÖÖRAD – Maailm On Hull (Priit Uustulnd, Meiko Humal)
- Super Hot Cosmos Blues Band – Maybe-Maybe (Mati Sütt, Janno Reim)
- Nion – Muud Pole Vaja (Karl Kanter, Keit Triisa, Marilyn Jurman)
- Wilhelm – Resignal (Lauri Kadalipp)
- Nimmerschmidt – Sandra (Fredy Schmidt, Andero Nimmer, Merilyn Merisalu)
- Maiken – Siin Või Sealpool Maad (Kadri Koppel)
- State of Zoe – Solina (Anneliis Kits, Sander Mölder)
- Kõrsikud – Tule Ja Jää (Kõrsikud)
- Lenna – Supernoova (Mihkel Raud)
The first semi-final will take place on February 14th and the second the week later – on February 21st. National final will take place in Nokia Concert Hall on the first of March.