The Semi-Final Allocation Draw will take place in the host city Copenhagen on Monday, January 20th as part of the Heads of Delegations meeting. The draw will take place at the Copenhagen City Hall. This draw is used to determine in which semi-final each country will compete in as well as in which half.
This year there are 31 semi-finalists as also Slovenia finally confirmed their participation. However, EBU has previously announced that in order to guarantee a fair distribution of tickets, Sweden and Norway have been put into different semi-finals. Therefore Sweden will compete in the first and Norway in the second semi-final.
In addition to this, the Israeli broadcaster has been given a spot in the second semi-final by request. The “Big Five” countries will vote in one of the two semi-finals. This is also decided by a draw but the German broadcaster has been given the right to vote in semi-final two and Italian broadcaster in semi-final two.
Countries are divided into six ‘pots’ based on their previous years’ voting patterns. Therefore, countries which tend to vote for each other the most are in the same pot.
- Pot 1: Albania, FYR Macedonia, Montenegro, Slovenia, Switzerland
- Pot 2: Estonia, Finland, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania
- Pot 3: Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Russia, Ukraine
- Pot 4: Armenia, Belgium, Greece, Ireland, Netherlands
- Pot 5: Austria, Hungary, Poland, San Marino
- Pot 6: Malta, Moldova, Portugal, Romania
The draw will be broadcast online at 14:00 CET at Eurovision.tv.